Thursday, September 21, 2006

Rock-A-Bye Baby

Monday afternoon, I went to All Children's while my mom watched Hannah for me. Kyle was having a good day and the nurse said that I could finally hold him!!! I had the nurse take pictures of me holding him for the first time (I will post the pictures to this post as soon as I can get the digital camera to give them up).

While I held him, his saturation levels stayed at a good level the whole time. Kyle gave me rewarding little smiles and a couple of times opened his eyes just long enough to peek at his new surroundings. I asked the nurse if he could get a little bit of breast milk on his tongue so he could actually taste it. He usually doesn't get to actually taste the milk since it's given to him through his feeding tube. He gave a sweet little smile after tasting his first bit of breast milk.

The nurse practitioner said that they might not need to do the steroid treatment after all since Kyle had gone down on his ventilator settings over the weekend and had gotten down to 22% oxygen.

Before leaving, I signed the authorizations for Kyle's vaccines. The nurse practitioner said that they try to do vaccines at two months old - even for preemies - unless there is neurological damage.

No comments: