Monday, July 31, 2006

Milk and Money

After having no luck pumping milk since the C-section, I was thrilled when Monday and Tuesday, my milk finally came in. I had wanted to breastfeed both boys, despite many remarks from others that I would most likely give up breastfeeding pretty quickly with twin boys, so I had been disappointed that I wasn't able to get milk in for even one. It was even a source of pain for me that I wasn't able to provide that nutrient for them even though they weren't able to drink it yet. So when my milk finally came in, I felt a rush of joy. Since I breastfed Hannah, this was finally something that felt normal and right about having a newborn. I wasn't able to feel labor for my baby and I'm not yet able to hold my baby but at least I can give my baby the nutrients he needs. (FYI: For those that don't know it, suggesting that a mother-to-be will likely give up breastfeeding is not a source of comfort or support. If a mother CANNOT breastfeed or DOES give up breastfeeding on the other hand, telling her that "it's okay" IS a source of comfort and support.)

Tuesday night, while I was visiting Kyle with my parents and Chris was home in pain with the kidney stones, Chris received a call from his supervisor at work with some much-needed good news... He would be receiving bereavement pay for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. This news lightened the load some since we had thought that he would be getting no pay for these three days and I'm still out of work.

No comments: